08 September 2013

Basic Pan de Sal

If France is known for its baguette, in the Philippines, we have our Pan de Sal. They are not alike though. It is our basic bread and every household buys pan de sal for breakfast or merienda (snack). I don't normally bake bread here in Aus for fear of breaking my precious Kitchen Aid. Hahaha. Even it has a dough hook, which is designed for making breads, I just feel so sorry for the mixer because I would prefer using a proper dough mixer. 

Anyway, I had a short lived love affair with pan de sal. We opened a bakery or panaderia in early 2000 and sell  basic and filled pan de sal. We had to close operation when I got pregnant with my younger daughter, Sabina, for I won't be able to look after the business as we have the coffee shop to manage too. I said goodbye to the bakery but not to my bakery equipment. They're all in my "bake lab" in the Philippines waiting for me. They are regularly maintained and my parents use it once a week to bake soft wheat bread and some muffins.

Here's my version of home made basic pan de sal (At last! a lot of my friends are asking for this recipe.):

3 c bread flour or high protein flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t bread improver*
1 sachet of instant dry yeast (7 g)
2 T butter or margarine or shortening
2 t salt dissolved in 1 c lukewarm water

*Note: Bread improver is a food additive combined to the flour that improves the quality of dough and bread. You can do away with it but it is highly suggested.

1. Combine dry ingredients and butter in a mixing bowl. If using a mixer, mix until ingredients are blended then, gradually add water. Mix until dough is smooth and elastic. This make take 8-10 minutes.

If you wish to do it manually, form a well in the centre of the flour mix and slowly add the water. Mix with wooden spoon until combined then use hands to form into a dough. Transfer the dough in floured surface and knead for 12-15 mins. until smooth and elastic.

2. Shape the dough into a ball and place into a clean, lightly greased bowl . Cover with cling wrap and leave for 45 mins to one hour. It should double in size. (Leave in warm place if the weather is cold.)

3. Degas the dough by slightly punching the dough to release the gas. Turn the dough again in a floured surface and flatten. Form a rectangular shape. You are now preparing the dough for shaping.



4. Starting from top, roll the dough until you form a log. 
5. Using a dough cutter or plastic dough scraper, cut into one inch.
6. Roll in bread crumbs and arrange in tray,leaving small clearance in between.



7. Leave for another 30-45 minutes for final rising. While waiting, preheat the oven at 220deg C (200degC for fan forced) or 400deg F.

8. When ready, bake for 15 mins. or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment