09 June 2014

The Award Winning 'Spice I Am'


Move over, Chat Thai! For the longest time, I considered Chat Thai the best Thai place here in Sydney. I've been hearing Spice I Am from friends but I haven't taken it seriously as I'm not so familiar with it's location, Surry Hills. It's a lame reason, I know ha.ha.

The girls, my daughters, had a serious craving for something spicy and Asian since yesterday. After trying a few Thai places, we finally decided to try Spice I Am. It wasn't very far from the Central Station. An easy 10 minute walk.

The place is small. I guess branches in other locations are spacious. Anyhow, despite the number of people dining, the service wasn't slow. It was just a bit difficult to communicate with the wait staff as they are not very fluent in English.

We ordered Beef Salad, Pad Thai seafood and Crispy Pork Belly in chili jam and cherry tomatoes. I always order Pad Thai whenever I dine for the first time. So far, theirs is tastier than the others I have tried in the past. The shrimp was perfectly cooked. My eldest daughter is an expert in crispy pork bellies as it will always be her forever favourite. She always orders that wherever she can. According to Ariana, the pork belly is consistently crispy. In other places, there would always be pieces that are chewy. I tried it and Ariana was right; the pork was truly crispy. The sauce was nice as it has the right balance of sweetness and spiciness. The Beef Salad was flavourful albeit spicy. The taste of the lemon grass, coriander, tanginess of lime and chili slices blended perfectly. The servings were huge that we ended up eating the left overs for dinner ha.ha.

Oh, wait. I didn't quite like the drink I ordered. Rosella. I asked the wait staff what it was and all she said was that, it was sweet. Can't further describe. I think it's an acquired taste. It's slightly sour, sweet with a hint of salty taste. I googled and it is a tea from a flowering plant named Roselle. It's apparently a healthy drink which is good for lowering cholesterol, just what I needed.

Over-all, it was really good. No wonder, it has won several awards.


Average Bill Per Head: AUD 24
Major Cards Not Accepted. Cash only.

Beef Salad

Pad Thai

Crispy Pork Belly with Chilli Jam




No comments:

Post a Comment