08 February 2013

Palitaw





Palitaw is a native Filipino dessert or snack. The flat oval or round shaped sticky rice is cooked by boiling.  It is also the main reason why I broke my mom's blender when I was ten. I tried grinding glutinous rice using her blender. Ha ha ha. Thank heavens for glutinous rice powder these days.

I actually freaked out when I found out that my youngest hasn't tasted palitaw. Hence, I made some for her to appreciate our cuisine.

I bought frozen grated coconut for I don't know where to source the fresh one here in Sydney. After thawing, the coconut  gets so watery. Solution: I gently drained the water using a strainer then I transferred it on a flat tray. At very low oven temperature or after turning off the oven and while it's still hot, I left the thawed coconut for few minutes to slightly dry.



PALITAW

1 c glutinous rice powder
1/2 c water
Freshly grated coconut, as needed

Sugar topping:
White sugar as needed (around 1/2 c)
Toasted sesame seeds, as needed (approx. 2 T)


Procedure:
  • In a bowl, mix glutinous rice powder and water together until it forms into a ball.
  • Make small rounds/balls and flatten each using your palm or rolling pin if desired.
  • Lay them on a tray and leave to dry for few minutes.
  • Boil water in a medium sauce pan. Slowly drop each flatten sticky rice.
  • Once it floats, it's cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon and lay on a tray.
  • When all done, roll each piece in grated coconut.
  • Serve with white sugar & sesame seeds. 
Note:

It is best to serve the sugar and sesame seeds separately. Otherwise, you'll end up having watery palitaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment