10 January 2013

Banana Bread


Here's a very easy recipe. This is actually the first recipe my eldest daughter learned to bake when she was fourteen. My children love having their banana bread toasted for breakfast topped with ricotta or cream cheese and jam. Bananas are quite expensive here but fruit shops sell them on special when they are over ripe. Perfect! it's just what I need . If you have excess of the over ripe bananas, it can be stored in the freezer. Pre-weigh then just thaw as you need it.



Got this recipe while doing my apprentice ten years ago but I've tweaked it a bit according to my preference. It is in grams as almost all of the recipes in the professional kitchen are measured by weight for obvious reasons. The addition of honey will make it moist. I sometimes make cupcakes for my children to bring in school then half of the mixture, I turn into a loaf or even a round cake and cover it with chocolate ganache. Very versatile ha.ha.

Try it guys!

Banana Bread

500 g ripe bananas, mashed (more ripe, the better)
500 g brown sugar
450 g plain flour (one cup is approx. 125 grams)
25 g  baking soda
6 pcs. eggs
250 ml fresh milk
250 ml oil
50 g honey

Procedure:

  • Pre-heat oven at 350degF or 180degC.
  • In a bowl, using a wire whisk, mix mashed bananas, sugar and liquid ingredients until properly blended. (I used my kitchen aid because I'm lazy to manually mash the bananas.)
  • Add dry ingredients. Mix until there are no traces of flour.
  • If desired, add chocolate chips.
  • Pour on greased & floured loaf pan. If making cupcakes, scoop mixture (at least 2/3 full).
  • Bake 50 to 60 mins for loaf and 20-30 mins. for cupcakes or until done.
Important things to remember:
  • If using fan forced, remember to reduce the temperature to 160degC.
  • For large loaf tin, reduce the temperature to 170degC.

No comments:

Post a Comment