05 January 2013

Understanding your Recipe

How can we live without a recipe? Quite difficult. While it's true we can memorize a recipe or two by heart but in my case, I have a lot of favorite recipes that it's difficult not to consult my pocket notebooks. In every workplace that I've been to, I keep a small notebook. Funny, when I asked my children which stuff they would want to have when I'm gone, my eldest ask for some pieces of jewelry while my youngest asked for my recipe notebooks. 

Except for home recipes, ingredients are always measured by weight especially in the professional kitchens or bakeshops. Convenience, consistency and definitely accuracy are the main reasons. Imagine baking a big batch using a home recipe, will we measure 20 cups of flour or 8 teaspoons of baking powder? For home consumption, measuring ingredients by volume is perfectly fine.

Here in Australia, we use the metric system. Recipes from  USA use their own system of measurement. Basic units of metric system are gram, liter, meter and degree Celsius.

Please familiarize yourselves with the following abbreviations as I will be using it through out my posts:


  • c   = cup
  • t   = teaspoon
  • T  = tablespoon
  • g   = gram
  • kg = kilogram
  • L  = liter
  • ml = milliliter
This basic conversion will also come handy to you.

1 T                = 3 t
1/4 c              = 4 T
1kg                = 1000g
1 pound (lb) = 454 g

Some final words: follow your recipe, measure or weigh correctly and use the ingredients specified.
Once you fully understand how ingredients react with each other and  you're confident with your baking prowess, you can tweak or make your own recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment